Thursday, September 3, 2009

Learning Styles Assignment

There are four different types of learners, visual, kinesthetic, aural, and reading/ writing. An Aural learner is someone who learns by listening. A visual learner is someone who learns by seeing something being done. A Kinesthetic learner, however, is different from a visual and kinesthetic learner because they learn by actively participating and using their hands. People who are considered reading/writing learners are ones who can read information and rewrite it to learn class material.
After completing the online learning styles inventory quiz I was given the score of 10 points for aural learning and 5 points in Visual, Kinesthetic, and Read/Write. This was actually quite a surprise for me. I believed myself to be mainly a dominant Visual learner. In most of my high school courses I only had to see what I needed to do and then do it but after closer inspection I found that I prefer to listen to teachers give lectures. I found that I get distracted very easily from watching a professor’s hand gestures when trying to listen to a lecture. When I’m listening to someone give directions I tend to look at the ground so I can fully understand what they are trying to tell me.
I believed myself to be mainly a visual learner because to memorize things I usually draw pictures or mnemonics to help myself remember what it was I was studying. The read/write learning didn’t surprise me since I have memorized things previously by writing and rewriting. I was a read/write learned when it came time to learn vocabulary words for my classes. I was also surprised that I scored points for being a kinesthetic learner. There are no instances that I can remember of being a ‘hands on’ learner.
I believe that knowing I am mainly an aural learner will help my study habits. I know that I will do better if I attend tutorials or discussions where I can talk over new information that was given to me. The VARK learning styles website also told me that I will do best if I take notes out of the book and then listen during the class. I think this will be the most helpful tip mainly because I do not tend to take notes on the readings assigned and then I cannot write fast enough to remember everything the teacher said during class, causing me to forget information easily. I thought that the learning styles inventory was very insightful and I will be using the study tips they gave me for my future learning.

2 comments:

  1. Talking over information is a powerful learning technique. Not only does it stimulate your aural learning capabilities, as you point out, but also it contextualizes information, makes connections between the information and daily life and prior knowledge. That's what makes learning stick. And being able to explain a concept to someone else, to teach it, represents an even higher level of understanding. I think you are really onto something!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh, and I forgot to mention, I really like that you set out an introductory brief explanation of learning styles before you launched into your reaction to the assessment experience. That was good contextualizing for the reader's benefit.

    ReplyDelete